With the arrival of the heat you want to eat something fresh and light, and what better than a delicious salad with basic ingredients.
Personally, I love salads, and the trick when preparing them is to go beyond the lettuce. Use at least two types of it, or spinach. You can include a variety of vegetables, grains and fruits that will give a delicious touch. Another key aspect is the dressing, to obtain more flavor. Most homemade dressings are based on olive oil, some type of vinegar or lemon, salt and pepper. In the market you can already find oils with flavors, while the balsamic vinegar has a completely different flavor. Search for these products and improvise, or check some recipes and find the one you like the most.
1. Salad of strawberries, pomegranate, grape and walnut
- 2 cups endive lettuce or lettuce mixture
- 5 strawberries, disinfected
- ½ cup red grapes, halved, seedless
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds (optional, depending on the season)
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnut
- Serve the lettuce on a plate.
- Add the strawberries, grape halves, pomegranate, walnut and cheese.
- Add the dressing.
2. Greek salad with pasta
- 2 1/2 cups short pasta
- 2/3 cup of chopped red onion
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of diced cucumber
- 3/4 cup of cut black olives
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup of panela cheese
Cook the pasta in water and once it is ready, strain it and let it stand apart. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients for the sauce with the exception of olive oil. Beat them and pour a little oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, green pepper and panela cheese. Serve the salad cold or at room temperature.
3. Salad with zucchini and spinach
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 bunches of spinach washed and disinfected
- 3 or 4 servings of panela cheese or fresh cheese
- pine nuts or almonds to taste
With a vegetable peeler, cut thin strips of zucchini. Cook them on a grill or pan with a little olive oil for a couple of minutes. Make sure they cool completely before adding the other ingredients. Mix everything and add a vinaigrette of lemon juice, olive oil and red wine.
4. Salad with watermelon, chicken and balsamic vinegar
- 450 gr of skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of green leaves to taste (lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard)
- 2 cups of watermelon in cubes
- 1/4 cup of blue cheese (for a strong flavor), or panela cheese
- 1/4 cup of crushed almonds
Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and heat it. Reduce the heat and keep it for 15-20 minutes until the amount of vinegar is reduced significantly and becomes thicker. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a pan. Spread the chicken with the seasoning on both sides and sprinkle with olive oil. Fry until the meat turns pink inside and golden on the outside. Cut and mix the chicken, the watermelon, the blue cheese and the almonds. Enjoy!
5. Chicken and apple salad
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 6-8 cups of mixed green leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes in pieces
- 1/4 sliced purple onion
- 3/4 cup of walnut
- 1/2 cup of blue or gorgonzola cheese
- 2 cups of dried apples (you can change them for fresh)
Cook on both sides the chicken breasts seasoned with salt for 4-5 minutes in a pan with olive oil. Cut them into pieces and let them cool. In a large bowl mix green leaves, tomatoes, onions and chicken. Sprinkle nuts, blue cheese and dried apples. Serve with dressing.
6. Mixed avocado and egg salad
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup of red and green peppers
- Different green leaves
- Cheese to taste
- Nuts, seeds or grains
- Avocado to taste, cut into squares
- Cooked egg (the amount you want)
Mix all the ingredients except the dressing, serve in a bowl and add the dressing at the end. Enjoy
7. Arugula salad with smoked fish
- 300 gr sliced smoked fish fillets
- A large bunch of arugula
- 1 sliced cucumber
- Purple onion rings (previously soaked in lemon to eliminate the strong flavor)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
Stir the arugula leaves, onion, and cucumber.Put the salad on a plate and place the pieces of fish on top (not too big or too small). For the dressing, mix olive oil, apple cider vinegar and mustard.
8. Tuna salad with coconut milk
- 500 g of tuna (if fresh, cut into cubes)
- The juice of 8 limes or lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tomato
- 1 green pepper cut in cubes
- 1 peeled and sliced cucumber
- 1 peeled and grated carrot
- 1 purple onion cut into squares
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 pinch of ginger
- salt and pepper
Place the tuna in a not very large bowl and add the juice of the lemons, sprinkle the salt and mix well. Cover the container and place it in the refrigerator for about 10 or 12 minutes. Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix the tomatoes, the pepper, the cucumber, the carrot, the onion, the garlic and the ginger. Add the fish to the salad and pour in half the lemon juice. Add the coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, and mix very well.
9. Salad of corn, bacon and red fruits
- 8 cups fresh arugula leaves
- Bacon fried to taste, cut into pieces.
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
- 2 ears of corn on the grill
- 1/2 cup panela cheese
- 1/2 cup of glazed nuts
- In a large salad bowl place a layer of arugula leaves, strawberries, blueberries, roasted corn kernels, bacon, panela cheese and glazed walnuts.
- To prepare the dressing, place the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a jar of preserves. Close with your lid and shake for a minute.
- Drizzle over the salad the desired amount of dressing and serve.
(You can remove or substitute ingredients according to your taste, and availability)
10. Tomato salad, mozzarella cheese and chickpeas
400 gr of chickpeas
1/4 cup of pesto (prepared)
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
In a bowl, mix the chickpeas, pesto, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Stir gently. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil.
(The basic recipe for the pesto is based on olive oil and very finely chopped basil, mix until you get a creamy paste.)